Placing & Receiving Calls with the Captel 800i
Dialing a Phone Number Directly
Before you dial, check whether the CAPTIONS button is on (red light on). You can turn captions on/off at any time during your call by pressing the CAPTIONS button.
- Lift the handset.
- Dial the phone number of the person you wish to call.
- As you dial, the display screen shows the status as your CapTel phone connects to the captioning service, letting you know when captions are ready.
- Listen or watch the signal meter to know when someone answers. Watch the display screen for captions. Begin your conversation as you normally would.
When you are done with your call, hang up the handset.
Answering an Incoming Call
- When your CapTel phone rings, the display will light up to alert you to an incoming call.
NOTE: If you have Caller ID service, you will see the name and/or phone number of the person calling.
- Pick up the handset and answer the call as you normally would.
- Check to make sure the CAPTIONS button is on (red light on) if you’d like captions during the call. Press the CAPTIONS button to turn it on or off.
- Listen or watch the signal meter for a response.
- Watch the display screen for captions.
TIP: If you answer on an extension telephone and want to get captions, just pick up the CapTel handset and press any of the number keys. Your CapTel phone will connect to the Captioning Service, and you will be able to view captions of the call on the CapTel display screen.
For more information, please reference the CapTel 800i User Manual.